A. Reid Monroe-Sheridan
Reid Monroe-Sheridan is a New York-licensed corporate lawyer and registered foreign attorney based in Tokyo, Japan. Fluent in Japanese, Reid has experience spanning international mergers and acquisitions, venture financings, general corporate and commercial matters, equity and debt securities issuances, and corporate governance.
Reid regularly advises public and private Japanese and American companies in a variety of international matters including cross-border M&A, venture financings, international commercial agreements, overseas expansion, corporate governance, and U.S. securities law. Prior to founding Monroe-Sheridan Foreign Law Office, Reid worked as an associate at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York and Tokyo. At Simpson Thacher, Reid negotiated contracts and prepared other documentation for derivatives instruments, M&A transactions, and billions of dollars of securities issuances.
Reid is also an Associate Professor at Keio Law School, one of Japan’s top-ranked law schools. Reid’s current and past courses have covered cross-border M&A, startup and venture capital law, international capital markets, comparative corporate law, and Japanese law in cross-border matters, among other subjects.
- New York Bar
- First Tokyo Bar Association (special foreign member)
- Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies, 2010
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- Yong K. Kim ’95 Memorial Prize
- Co-President, Harvard Asia Law Society (2008-2009)
- Co-Chair, Asia Business Conference at Harvard Business School (2007-2008)
- University of Tokyo Graduate School of Law and Politics, 2008-2009 (exchange program)
- Carleton College, B.A., summa cum laude, 2006
Yu Mizutani has extensive experience in securities law compliance and capital markets transactions, representing issuers and underwriters in the United States and Japan on a wide range of equity, debt and derivatives transactions. Yu’s practice focuses on advising on securities and corporate governance matters in addition to cross-border commercial transactions.
Yu is a native speaker of both English and Japanese and previously worked in the New York and Tokyo offices of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. He received his J.D. from Cornell Law School and his B.S. from Cornell University and is qualified under the New York bar.
- New York Bar
- Cornell Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Cornell University, B.S., 2010